Hi, hello, how are you <3.
Hope you’re all well and doing okay and that you had a good September. I honestly (here comes the cliché) can’t believe it’s October??
September was a pretty good month for me actually. I was back to ‘actual not online’ school (after six months), worked on uni applications (#stress), wore my mask (!!) and had an amazing reading month.
And so in a monthly tradition, let’s chat about all the details of September 2020!
What books did I read?
Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody ★★★★☆(4.5)
Guys maybe a new favourite series?? The Shadow Games series is honestly so so good!! Such a enticing plot, a wannabe Kaz Brekker (but in an endearing way), all the feels and emotions. It just had so much going for it and I moved straight onto book 2 after I finished.
King of Fools by Amanda Foody ★★★★★
THIS BOOK. THIS SERIES WHAT THE HECK.
Honestly so much happened and I was just mind blown.
So much tension and so many twists and turns. I loved the characters, I loved the relationships (not just romance), I loved the intense plot. I loved it all.
I’m so excited to finish this series you guys.
SPOILERSJAC OH MY GOODNESS. HE DESERVED SO MUCH BETTER WTF. I honestly was sat there reading that ending with my mouth gaping open thinking ‘no no no no no no’. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED. WHAT WHAT WHAT.
Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett ★★★☆☆
Kind of average ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I feel like it’s an obligation to use this emoji in every post now)
It was an enjoyable read, and it was nice and quick too so it was what I was in the mood for. I wasn’t super invested in the characters though (they felt kind of 2D if I’m honest) but I would still recommend it for a chill contemporary.
Wonder by R.J Palacio ★★★★★
This was my third reread of this book and you guys <3<3. If you’re looking for a middle grade (or even if you’re not) I highly recommend this book. It’s an important but light-hearted read and I just love Auggie and all the characters. One of my favourite books for sure.
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston ★★★★★ (4.75 if I’m super picky oops just because it lagged a tiny bit in the middle. But we’re rounding to 5 so it’s fine)
ARE YOU SEEING THIS YOU GUYS. I READ RW&RB. FINALLY.
After seeing all the hype and adding this to my tbr list back when it was released last year I finally got around to reading it and I LOVED it.
Honestly my favourite thing was the British details?? You would never know that this book was written by an American author because they got Britain so right?! All the details like the Daily Mail, Mel & Sue from The Great British Back Off (my fave show ever and I’m so happy that it’s back on Channel 4), This Morning (was disappointed not to see Phil & Holly though haha).
Highly recommend and I may write an actual book review on this one!
General Life Stuff
- I went back to school at the beginning of September!! It’s been so nice to be back seeing friends again, having lessons etc and the new timetable changes for my school are also great (I can leave during free periods now yay!!). I honestly thought it would be really weird to be back but it felt like we never left (besides from covid changes e.g. masks and hygiene measures etc).
- Finished up my personal statement. I did have a few tears with this due to ~stress~ but I’m so excited to have it finished.
- Restaurants – I have really missed restaurants honestly. Even though we have to wear masks to walk through etc it’s been so nice to eat at my faves again.
- Listened to Hadestown finally!! A new favourite musical I love it so much!!
Honestly that’s all? It’s been a very school-focused month for me so decidedly average (even though going back to school felt like such an anticlimax haha).
- Write my personal statement ✓
Finally!! This was honesty so stressful and I cried a few times haha but at least it’s done now. I think the stress was that I got feedback from too many teachers so it was just overwhelming?
- Finish writing EPQ ✓
I’ve done the essay but I still have the presentation to do in October. Once again this has caused stress so I can’t wait to have it done and to never have to think about it again.
- Work on my anxiety (back to school) ✓✗
I was fine for the first week or so but lately my head has been so busy and I’ve been quite anxious. I’m getting better though but I think it was just a combination of tiredness (because I obviously wasn’t used to being in school after 6 months off) and stress (see above).
- Keep posting on aliterarylatte.com ✓✓
Considering I thought I’d struggle with back to school/other commitments I did pretty good! I’m aiming to write one post a week right now and I posted 3 so I only missed one week? You can catch up on them here, here and here!
- Apply to university (!!) Honestly so crazy I can’t believe it.
- Continue to work on my anxiety
- Stop picking nails I finally managed this in August and it was going so good but then school caused me anxiety and so. Not so good.
- Finish EPQ finally
- Catch up on school notes from over lockdown
- 1900 followers on my illustration Instagram
- Post 3 blog posts (a loose goal because I don’t like to set pressure/numbers here on the blog because it’s one of the few platforms where it’s purely fun and I don’t stress about it at all which is lovely!)
(So many goals this month wow, I don’t think I’ve ever set so many??)
And that’s all of the updates from September 2020!
Hope you guys have had a good month and if not that’s okay, you’ve got this & I hope September is an improvement <3.