Remember when I said in this post that I wanted to stop DNFing books? Yeah me neither lets ignore that :)).
It’s time for another monthly recap! (which is the craziest thing HOW is it July already??) I’m genuinely surprised because it does not feel like 6 months have passed since January. But apparently they have. So, without further ado, let’s talk about my June 2020!
What books did I read in June?
June was an okay? reading month because the books I did read were really good but I just couldn’t! decide! what to read next. And so I kept starting books and then deciding I wasn’t in the mood for it (perks of being a mood reader) a few pages in. But anyway. Here are the books I did read in full!
Becoming by Michelle Obama ★★★★★
This has been on my tbr for the longest time and I loved it!! Michelle Obama is so motivational and inspiring honestly. Highly recommend.
This is actually the book that put me in the slump because it was so good, I just didn’t know what to read next. It also made me want to read more non-fiction so if you have recommendations please tell me!
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling ★★★★★
First of all, can I just say even though I will forever love Harry Potter, it’s a huge no from me to J.K. Rowling. She has proved herself to be incredibly problematic time and time again. Thankfully I already have all the books so won’t be contributing to her income or anything!
But anyway, this was a reread (duh) alongside the Swish and Flick podcast which I absolutely love and highly recommend (a podcast post will probably come at some point!!).
Tweet Cute by Emma Lord ★★★★☆ (4.5)
I mean it’s in the title really – this was the cutest book. I had so much fun reading this and literally flew through it (which is fab because all bar one of the books I DNF’d came before this). Pepper and Jack were just so cute (I need more words). Loved it and it deserves the hype!!
I also mentioned that I couldn’t decide what I wanted to read, and so in between Becoming and Tweet Cute (Goblet of Fire I’ve been reading since May) I DNF’d 3 books and started 1. Then read Tweet Cute. Then DNF’d another book. Oops. :))
And now I’m reading Leah on the Offbeat before Love, Creekwood!!
- Cinder, The Lunar Chronicles I decided I wanted to read Scarlett (book #2 in the series) and so I thought I’d read the first one to recap. Changed my mind 20% through, found a recap online and then moved on to Scarlet.
- Scarlet Started this. Decided I didn’t want to read it because I didn’t like Scarlet or Wolf and I didn’t care about what happened to any of the characters (stopped at 43%).
- My Life Next Door Started this one next. Again, should have listened to my bad reading habits (judging books by their covers, books with photos of people are generally not very good). Got about 16% through and decided I didn’t like the MC or love interest. What was with the zoo room??? Just thought that was a bit weird and it got a no from me. In contemporaries I need to like the love interest or it’s a no go.
- Queenie DNF’d this one after Tweet Cute, so there’s no picture of this one because I literally decided not to read it yesterday (30th). I just don’t love adult books? I think it was the full on sex scene that I wasn’t expecting and I am a ~child~. But I also just couldn’t relate because I’m a teenager doing my A-levels whereas she’s at work going for drinks with coworkers you know?
As for the book I started, it was 50 Politics Classics which I’m still reading and is actually quite good, albeit a bit boring at times. Wouldn’t recommend unless you’re really interested in politics (it goes through famous political books/papers that have shaped history/politics today and summarises them). #PersonalStatementAndUniApplications
- Had my Year 12 mock exams which is why I was so absent on the blog this month. Was just revising the whole month really (fun!!). Have only got one exam back so far (A* which was such a shock???) Fingers crossed the rest go just as well too (but I doubt it because that was my best one by farrrr).
- Started watching Netflix again rather than just YouTube. Am re-watching How I Met Your Mother (love this show SO much) and am carrying on with The Big Bang Theory (season 11 – although 12 isn’t on Netflix). Also finished Peter Kay’s Car Share which is on BBC iPlayer if you’re in the UK and I love it.
- Sitting outside in the garden because the UK weather has been really nice!! Slightly too hot at times if I’m honest but sunny!
- Literally nothing else don’t even need to say why:)).
How did I do on my June goals?
- Work on my mental health ✓✗
I had a specific goal in mind for this and like yes and no? I took some steps forward, then some back, and then had a bit of a positive mindset shift again. So like kind of. Still very much a work in progress.
- Grow my Instagram to 1700 followers✗
This was for my business account and I did grow it a little bit (+120 followers this month) but it’s fine because I had 0 time to focus on it because of my exams. I do graphic design and illustration and have an Instagram page for it, which I was in a bit of a rut with, but now I feel like I sort of have more of a direction?
- Revise for my exams ✓✓✓
I actually did study every day before the exams which I’m so happy with. Hopefully it pays off with my grades (not that confident with two of them tbh).
- Go for more regular walks ✗
Who needs vitamin D anyway?
SpoilerMe. I need Vitamin D. I did sit in the garden like twice though so?? It’s more just the exercise I’m missing out on oops. Although saying that, I do yoga everyday so like swings and roundabouts.
What goals am I setting for July?
- Mental health!! Again, I have this same goal in mind!
- 1700 followers Same goal again! These follower goals aren’t ‘proper’ goals though because I’m not that bothered if I don’t reach them. It’s just fun for me to reach a target.
- Stop picking my nails I’ve started picking my nails more again lately. Maybe due to stress? But I need to stop. My skin has also broken out (stress + tiredness) which sucks because it was so clear for ages.
- Work on my EPQ This is for school but I’ve really neglected this. A lot of people at my school have written their first draft (5000 words min, no max word count) and I’ve only written 700. So. Hoping to have finished a first draft and had feedback by the end of July (minimum).
- Go for one walk a week (minimum) This is actually really really terrible that this is a goal. But I just hate walks they’re so boring. I’m genuinely worried though with my anxiety that I’m going to find it really hard to go out more once lockdown is over, so I want to start building it up again and getting used to be out more!